Optimize the description tag for SEO
What are the key html tags for SEO?
What is Meta Description tag?
The meta tag or more specifically the meta description tag allows you to add a description to the page along with the keywords you want to optimize.
See how the meta description is displayed in Google's search results page:
The tag meta description allows you to inform search engines and users about the content of the page. If you want to take advantage of this tag for your SEO strategy, there are a few rules you need to follow and some errors to avoid.
What are the rules of writing meta description tags?
- The meta description tag must be placed after the
<title> tag and before the closing </head>, like this:
<html> <head> <title>Page Title</title> <meta name="description" content="page description" /> </head> </html>
- Make sure the description of your page is in line with the title but also the content of your page. If search engines detect a difference between these elements, they may consider it as a spam. The description of your page must be:
- an explanation of the title
- a summary of the content of the page.
- The maximum length of meta description tag is 160 characters, including spaces. This way you can be sure the description appears entirely in the search engine results pages (not truncated).
- The meta description must be a coherent phrase, with verbs. Otherwise it can be viewed as spam.
- The meta description tag should not only be written for search engines, but for users as well. Visitors will come to the website only if the description is appealing and corresponds to their searches.
Which are the errors to avoid on meta description tag optimization?
- It is essential to write a unique meta description tag for each page. Using the same description on two or more pages can have a negative impact, because search engines will think you have duplicated the webpage, a forbidden technique in SEO.
- Do not list keywords instead of writing a description. This tag must be a continuation of the title or the summary of the page.
- Do not repeat keywords too close to each other. If a certain keyword is repeated, try to insert some distance between the same term occurrences.
- If your website communicates for different linguistic communities, the bilingual pages are not recommended. It is better to separate your website into different entities, and offer different meta descriptions. Having pages with content in two languages would require descriptions in two different languages. This could create repetitions that are normally viewed as spam. This would also decrease the readability of the page.
- Avoid numbers, special characters, capitalized words. They can decrease the readability of the page and the ranking as well. The maximum length of meta description tag is limited to 160 characters, so you have to fully take advantage of what you write.
Is the keywords tag important?
Throughout their history, search engines have used this html tag to identify the most important keywords of the page. But due to optimization abuse, the <keywords> tag is no longer taken into account by search engines. You can still fill it in but with all the optimization work you already have to do, it's certainly not a priority.
Yakaferci, the free tool that analyzes your meta description tags
Yakaferci provides you with a SEO tool that checks the quality of your meta description tags.
Analyze your pages description meta tags with our free SEO Page Analyzer
To start the Yakaferci analysis, simply enter the URL of the page in the area above and click the Analyze button. You will then have access to different sections of the report, especially those on meta description tag.
Other articles from Yakaferci's SEO category can also be useful.