Html title tag for SEO
What are the most important tags for SEO?
When a search engine such as Google or Bing crawl an HTML page, it gives an increased importance to some html tags. Therefore, it is very important to choose these key html tags wisely, in order to optimize a page for a better visibility on search engines.
The most important html tags for search engine (Google, Bing…) are:
Html tags inform search engines what a specific web page is about but they help also to communicate off-site, to users.
After all, the <title> tag and the meta description tag are displayed in search results pages (SERP), a channel people uses to get to your website.
And that's how the title tag and meta description tag looks:
What is a <title> tag (html title tag)?
The <title> tag is the title of a web page. This is a field that can't be overlooked in your SEO strategy, because it is one of the main elements taken into account by search engines (Google, Bing...)
The content of a page's <title> tag appears at the top of the browser window, as well as in the tab's name. The title of Yakaferci's home page is marked in red in the image below.
What are the rules for optimizing the title tags ?
- The html title tag (and the meta description tag) must first be written for users and then for search engines. This rule will help you avoid being taken for a spammer and will make you write titles tags that are useful and that really inform users about the content your pages offer.
- The title tag must talk about the content of the page it is linked to. The title tag should be in line with the overall content, theme, and subject of the page. Naming a page with a very sought-after generic title tag can have a negative impact, given that search engines first gather as much data as possible from a page, and then classify it according to a theme.
The maximum length of title tag is 62, including space.
By limiting the length of the title tag, you avoid:
- being considered as spammer - you only communicate essential information.
- displaying in search results pages an incomplete title followed by «...». This can hinder the readability of the title.
- Place at the beginning of the title tag the keyword or the term for which you want to optimize the page.
Ex: Yakaferci's home page has the following title tag : «Search engine optimization: SEO tools and articles about SEO» The term we want to emphasis on this page is:«Search engine optimization».
Set up your SEO and key word strategy before writing your html tags.
After all, what do you want to «promote » in search engines and to users: your brand or the chosen keywords?
If you want to increase your online reputation, set the brand's name at the beginning of the title tag.
If you want to define your business on keywords and rank on those (this strategy is recommended for the websites that do not represent a renowned brand), then place those keywords at the beginning of the title tag.
What are the errors to avoid?
- It is crucial to write an unique html title tag for every page. Using the same title tag on more pages can get your website penalized. The search engines are going to consider these pages as being very similar, which is a negative SEO factor.
- Avoid vague or general titles tags such as «Welcome to our website», «Homepage»... The title tag is a very important html tag for the SEO, so take advantage of it by using the keywords you want to rank on.
- Avoid just listing keywords as a title tag. You risk being considered as a spammer. The title tags must be informative and must reflect the content of the page.
E.g.: Yakaferci's homepage title tag : «Search engine optimization: SEO tools and articles about SEO» The expression we want to highlight is «Search engine optimization». We explain it with what follows «: SEO tools and articles about SEO»
- Make sure not to repeat the same keyword in the same title tag. You risk being considered a spammer. Try to use each keyword only once.
If your website communicates for different linguistic communities, the bilingual pages are not recommended. It is better to separate your website into different entities, and offer different title tags with unique keywords.
Having pages with content in two languages would require title tags in two different languages. This could create repetitions normally considered as spam. This would also decrease the readability of the page.
- Avoid numbers, special characters, capitalized words. They can decrease the readability of the page and the ranking as well. The number of characters is limited, so you have to fully take advantage of what you write.
Yakaferci, the free tool that analyzes your html title tags
Yakaferci provides you with a tool that checks the quality of your title tags.
Analyze your pages title tags with our free SEO Page Analyzer
To start the Yakaferci analysis, simply enter the URL of the page in the area above and click the Analyze button. You will then have access to different sections of the report, especially those on title tags.
Other Yakaferci articles from the SEO category can be useful as well.